Creating a Group profile for a classroom is a great way of letting all parents know about the classroom's eating preferences. One great application is to help make all parents aware of food allergies in the class. Sharing this information can give an added measure of safety for a child with serious food allergies or on a medical diet. It can also help when a child simply doesn't like to eat certain foods.
There are a few steps to create the Group, but it's well worth it. Plus it's very easy to manage and edit the Group after the initial set up.
Here's one way to create a Group for your classroom:
- First, create a Group for your classroom under your account. To do this, go to your home Dashboard and under "My Groups" select the "+" icon.
- Simply follow the instructions on the next few pages to create the class Group. The steps include:
- Select a Group name. Choose something all members will easily recognize like "Ms. Smith's kindergarten class".
- Adding people. This is how you add all your students.
- If you already have some students in your Directory, simply select them.
- If there are additional students who you can't find, go to "Search by name" and type in their name. As you type, the box will auto-suggest people in your system that matches that name. Select the person that matches.
- If no names match, at the bottom of the auto-suggestion list will be 2 options: "Search on Selectivor" and "Invite User".
- First try "Search on Selectivor". Enter their name and see if they already have a profile. If so, you can select them and add them to your Directory.
- If they're not on Selectivor, go back to the "Search by name" box, start typing, then select "Invite User" from the auto-suggestion list. Now you can enter their email and hit "Send" and they will be invited. Please note: the email field is very specific and you may not be allowed to hit "Send" if there are extra spaces before or after the email address (this happens sometimes when copying and pasting emails).
- Add Notes. You can list anything about the Group that is important, like food items not currently found on Selectivor, portion size issues, etc.
- Sharing preferences. Select what you'd like to share with others including the list of students in the class, the final Group food profile and any notes.
- Once every student's parent has created an account, you should see them in the Group or you should be able to find them on Selectivor.
- Finally, privacy is important in some settings. For parents concerned about privacy, reassure them that they can send their child’s information privately by selecting HIDDEN under Privacy Settings for their child’s profile. Under the HIDDEN setting, the child's food preference information is included in the final Group food profile, but the origin and identity of that information are NOT revealed. Another privacy technique is to not allow members of the Group to see the list of students in class under "Sharing preferences". For even move privacy, parents can use pseudonyms and unique emails on Selectivor to further hide a child's identity, if desired.
We hope this helps!
Oliver @ SelectivorSelectivor is how we eat together.